Postpartum Doulas provide care for both the mother and baby as well as the family in your home. I care for you in that time between birth and 12 weeks, known as the “4th Trimester.” This can be one of the most exciting times of your life, but it can also be stressful and draining. Most prepare for the birth, but sometimes forget that this new baby comes home eventually and that there are many adjustments to make. Just dealing with sleep deprivation alone can cause emotions to be raw. If there are complications with the mom or baby this adds to the stress. This tiny baby can turn a household upside down with their needs as they adjust to life outside the womb. You may wonder how such a wee one can bring so much joy and at the same time change the dynamics of a family forever.
Doulas know what to expect following a birth, especially the needs of the mother and the baby! I use my hands and my heart to bring loving care to the whole family.
What do Postpartum Doulas do?
- Nurtures the mom, baby and family in their home with tender care and loving hands
- Educates the family by modeling, and providing care options
- Offers breastfeeding support
- Assists with newborn care
- Offers comforting touch
- Helps with sibling and family adjustments
- Shares emotional support during the highs and lows of the “4th trimester”
- Provides non-medical care; doesn’t diagnose
- Helps the mother with back to work preparations
- Encourages the mom to heal physically and emotionally
- Provides light household organization and meal preparation
- Makes referrals when needed for additional support; provides resources
- Ensures the mother is well fed, rested, hydrated and comfortable!
A postpartum doula is uniquely trained to care for mother and baby following the birth up through 12 weeks. I love to care for the whole family – infants, mama, partner and siblings- bringing a sense of calm into the home, and giving confidence to the family is extremely important to me. I want to leave knowing that your family is not just getting by, but thriving!